The James C. King was first built as
a three-masted barque, later converted to a schooner rig and lastly
used as a barge.
It was built in East Saginaw, Michigan in 1867 by Samuel J. Tripp.
The ship was 53.4m (175ft) long and now lays between 7 and 30m (25 and 95ft).
The James C. King was wrecked while under tow by the W. L. Wetmore in November 1901.
The rudder may be found in the shallows near the bowpost.
The shipwreck's location is number 10 on the dive site location map.